Sunday, January 28, 2007

I Got It! A Plan To Curb Violence

I'm a scholar. In fact I got my P.H.D. from a school called Common Sense University. I was at the top of my class. I was recently asked by a local writer of a major newspaper what I felt was the answer to reducing violence in this city. I laughed out loud at her question. Not out of disrespect but out of disbelief that people around this city don't have a clue to our growing problem. As I paused to regroup my thoughts, I stared in space looking for a rocket scientist to come down and swoop me up because this is not scientific. I told Ms. Reporter the answer was EDUCATION and REPARATIONS. She paused as if she had a brain surge from my answer. That's right I said, EDUCATION and REPARATIONS.

Let's talk about EDUCATION. One who has knowledge has power. Power opens many doors of opportunity. If you don't believe it check out the education levels of most inmates in jail. Okay, okay, yeah Stally. It's because education wasn't a priority in the home. Probably. It's because they didn't have the best facilities. I don't buy it. Ask Oprah Winfrey. Now days most schools encourage parental involvement like Catholic schools, most private schools and some public schools. So we're able to diminsh those myths. Show me a student with a high school education and the opportunity to continue his or her education and I will show you a student who will probably attend a school of higher learning and increase their chances of being successful and decrease their chances of being involved in crimes and acts of violence as a perpetrator or victim. Obviously, they're exceptions to all rules. Here's the plan! There should be mandated schools in every state that allow students free education. These schools will be funded at the government level. Again, I mean every state! Give reparations (most of you know it as incentives) for state funded schools of higher learningto educate those based on financial and social need. Are you with me? Guess what? You get individuals who aspire to go to school off the streets in lieu of a valued education. Feel me? I talk to inmates at the Queen City Correctional Facility wher I volunteer as a community mentor. In my discussions a majority of inmates tell me that their interest in school faded when they didn't see opportunities. Interesting! Didn't see opportunities. Unfortunately, there appears to be more opportunities on the streets. They're paying reparations. Imagine that!

REPARATIONS. Reparations is a giving of satisfaction or payment for something done in the past or a good deed. Well, let's concentrate on the good deed. I got it! Let's give businesses incentives (I'm sorry, reparations) to hire those who have less, like education and skills. Hold on! Now tie in provisions to their employment such as going back to school, some of you know it as continuing education. While we're at it let's do some extensive job training (everybody needs that), some random drug testing and while we're at it some random background checks. Hmmm! Sounds like everybody wins. The businesses gets tax relief, the so-called hard to serve gets a legal paycheck, education, skills and just as important incresed self-esteem. The community gets reduced crime on the streets that will equate to decreased violence. Neighborhoods strive, especially those who are hard hit by crime waves. Economy flourishes and politicians can realistically hold press conferences and pat each other on the back for a job well done. The only industries who will take an immediate hit financially will be the funeral homes and the Coroner's office. Oh! I forgot to tell you, Common Sense University is free and open to the public. Hmmm! Maybe I will write a play titled "Education and Reparations" to be played out on the streets of Greater Cincinnati. Cost to see this production, FREE. Free to anyone willing to invest in the future of our children. As my late uncle T.J. Stenson said to me. "I'm not the biggest fool in the world today." I will accept comments as payment.

2 comments:

MommaMonkey said...

Stally, I think you hit the nail on the head. Unfortunately, you live in a city where people fight change. For the better or worse. It's getting people to move into action. That's the hard part.

Sharon said...

Wait! Didn't I just read this article in The Hope Times?? You got it right, as usual Stally! But now what? Chels is right....it's about getting everyone to act on your vision!!