Sunday, January 14, 2007

My Reflections/Thoughts, Give Me Yours!

Chels, Sharon I'm at a crossraods again. Not with the Hope Academy. Chelsea pretty much helped me with that issue and well as Sharon. As you know I'm an advocate for healthy families. Almost everything I do civic has to do with addressing family issues and giving positive solutions. Not that Dr. Martin Luther King's birthday is here but I always am troubled mentally and emotionally when I pick up the paper and see where there's another young person either killed or killing someone. I know, I know, I can't save the world, not even Cincinnati, Ohio. However, I would like to speak out. Not the speaking out that will just bring cameras like many black so-called leaders do for self acclaim. I feel everytime I hear of a murder involving a young person I go back to what I spoke about at our "Gift of Love" banquet when I said "go get your child even if it meant your life" I was very serious. I'm asking you my dear sisters this question. Should I speak out to the community regarding this matter. I have a reporter friend who is with the Enquirer. I call her a reporter friend because she interviewed me when my granddaughter was murdered by her dad. I told her then that I wanted to use my voice to encourage men to refrain from "Shaken Baby Syndrome" of which my grandbaby Kayla died from in 2003. What I wanted to say in the enquirer would be to make a plea to parents to go get their children off the streets. Not just get them off the streets but find resources ie; educational, employment, job training etc to bring them whole. Am I'm out in left field or what? Let me know. I don't want to be a mortar but I want to NOT bury my head in the sand and count record breaking statistics at the end of the year. NOW a question that you may or may NOT feel comfortable answering because it's racially directed. Okay, here it is if you dare. In your opinion why is it that white teens even in the lower to lower middle class neighborhoods are NOT having the super increase of acts of violence like the black males. If you so chose to answer please do not sugar coat it. You're talking to Stally! I just need to know on the real side what is going on and how those who I real;ly trust believe.

On another note, it was a blast to have two of my best friends at the "Club" Friday. Sharon. I will pay you big money to give me your secrets of how you got the "Blazer" out that night. I must say that we need to have that moment again with her and Brian. Since we didn't have the opportunity to drink Chels Blazer "under the table" we will try Brian. It doesn't matter what Blazer we defeat (smile)

On a more serious note Sharon, I know the anniversary for Michael is coming up and I respect how the family choose to grieve. Just let me know if there's anything I can do. Love both of you and Holla!

2 comments:

MommaMonkey said...

Stally -
I say go for it. It may not save the World or the City of Cincinnati, but it may just make a difference in someone's life to help stop the violence. And that in turn could save at least one life. I don't see how it would hurt.

I really couldn't tell you why more AA kids appear to be more violent than whites. It could be that the media plays it out to be that way. I think there is something to be said about becoming numb to violence, and so it just escalates. I don't know how many times I had students confide in me that they believed their destiny was to rot in jail or die before they were to graduate from High school. They don't see their options. They don't see past today. It's a very sad cycle.

Sharon said...

Stally-
There is not one word that you speak that doesn't come straight from your heart...please share that with our world...somebody will benefit!
I don't really know the answer to your other question. I don't understand it myself and I would be presumptuous to assume I did. I wish I knew how to change the statistics.

I could tell our Chels was chomping at the bit to get her hands a couple of cold beers! We'll have to make trip to the west side and cab it home!

Donna is having a rough week. Sunday was really hard....it was a year on Sunday when she last had him here laughing, playing soccer, watching movies with her..it was his last day of really being "alive". I feel so helpless.

Let me know if you do the interview!
S.